Thursday, May 8, 2014

Swatches of Sally Hansen Color Foil Nail Makeup Nail Polish

Um, so it's been a year since my last post?! Fail. I've been thinking about getting back into blogging now that my son is old enough to entertain himself for awhile, and now that I've got a gig making some money from home so that I am spending more on beauty products again. Hoping that'll go better than it has in the past. ;-)

A few weeks ago I was reading Allure and they mentioned Sally Hansen Color Foil Nail Makeup which said available in June. Being a lover of all things nail polish and especially chrome-y nail polish, I knew I HAD to have it. So much to my husband's excitement (ha!) while we were on vacation I made him stop at EVERY drug store we passed. Not even kidding. No dice. Imagine walking into "my" Meijer the day after we returned home and the heavens shining down and angels singing upon an untouched display. And even luckier, SH being BOGO1/2 this week. Yep. Anyway, I've been asked for swatches from a nail polish group I'm in on Facebook, so it seems like a good time to start blogging anew, right?

Here's my artsy "hey look at my new pretties" bottle shots. :P






Outdoors, in shade. Top left to right: Orly Rage, for comparison. Nearly the same shade as Rose Copper but obviously it is much more foily whereas the SH polishes are more of a smooth chrome (personally I think the name "Color Foil" is misleading but that's quite alright with me as I love a good bright smooth chrome). Rose Copper Titanium Flush, Pink Platinum, Purple Alloy, Leaden Lilac (more of a periwinkle leaning blue IMO). Bottom row: Liquid Gold, Sterling Silver, Yellow Gold, Minted Metal, Cobalt Chrome.

Shot in direct sunlight (reversed from my previous photo, sorry about that!). You can really see how chrome-y they are here. 

My opinion is that you aren't going to mistake these for Minx or anything, but for a regular polish, I don't know that I've seen any that were brighter chrome. I think they're at least on par with the Essie Metallic collection (which I have none of, but have seen IRL). I can't compare to the Layla Mirror Effects because I don't own any nor have I ever seen in person. They are also one-coat wonders, though I did use 2 coats for these swatches, because I realized on the first coat that I did not shake them well enough so I was getting too much silver and not enough of the colored pigment. They looked somewhat brushstroke-y on application but that all but disappeared once dry.

So what do you think? Are you a metallic polish nut like me and will you be searching these out? 

Edit: Totally forgot about some old SH & Avon chromes I had until someone in the nail polish group mentioned them! Some comparison swatches...

Top row L to R: SH Foil in Liquid Gold (new), SH Chrome in Gold Chrome. SH Foil in Yellow Gold (new), SH Chrome in Canary Diamond Chrome Yellow (old). SH Foil in Rose Copper (new), SH Chrome in Rose Diamond (old). Rose Diamond Chrome is more of a lavender rose; Rose Copper is a rose gold. 
Bottom: SH Color Foil in Sterling Silver, Avon Mirror Shine in Foil. SH Color Foil in Purple Alloy, Avon Mirror Shine in Polish (yes...Polish. LOL). 
As you can see, no 100% dupes other than probably the silvers. Not many different shades of chrome silver, LOL.

This one was an accident but I included it to show how reflective they are. I'm wearing a neon coral shirt today, can you tell? ;-) 



18 comments:

  1. Would love to know how they stamp!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to break out my Konad for the first time in, oh, 3 years. ;-)

      (Seriously though, I think the last time I stamped was the baby feet I did for my baby shower in June 2011! Eek!)

      Delete
    2. sarah from chalkboard nails said they stamp extremely well. look out for them on her blog soon.

      Delete
  2. I have to get these! I was just wondering about atypical chromes the other night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post!! and so fast too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are pretty but I think the foils look yucky on short nails. My nails are short right now. I did see these in Walgreens but just passed on them because I hadn't seen any swatches.

    If the foils are making a come back, does this mean the crackles are not far behind????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh I sure hope crackles stay away for awhile lol! Too soon! (Never would be fine with me ;)) I have nubs too thanks to a case of the peelies :(

      Delete
  5. Love your bottle shot! I found these to be something of a pain to work with since my nails are far from smooth but they sure are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! :) I haven't even gotten to try yet because my nails are peeling right now :( And they are naturally ridgy too so I hope I have a good ridge-filling base coat in my stash ;)

      Delete
  6. Has anyone compared them to the China Glaze Romantique collection?

    ReplyDelete
  7. great swatches! i will be getting some soon! i'm a new follower, hope you will follow me back! : )

    http://myprettynailz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I've been looking for swatches of these! They look gorgeous! Not as brush-stroky as I would have expected. I have the Layla Mirror Effect polish in Black as Ebony, and the finish on these looks pretty darn close! Maybe a little more brush-stroky, but I won't be complaining at that price.

    Do you know what the wear time is on these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not find it to be very impressive, LOL. I started seeing wear within a few hours. :( Regardless, they are so pretty!

      Delete
    2. Too bad, but that seems to be the case for all chromes :(

      Thanks for answering!

      Delete
  9. I have these bought them to stamp and they work well. And I'm new to.stamping

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad we won't be able to get those in Germany, I guess I'm in love with some colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i was tired of some colors until I came across your post,, i see a few i love..want now , tymuch

    ReplyDelete